Shaping and Attaching Boards for K-118 Style Binding

I determined that a Springback album I was making for the carpenter wasn't going to work. At all. But thats okay. After this was determined I was able to pull off the covers, spring, and spine linings. See that Here.  What I was left with was the sewn block that had an exaggerated round with no swell and also sewn in end bands.

 I chose the Springback structure for this project because of its inherent ability to throw the pages out and allow them to lie flat with full access to the gutter. It is able to accomplish this without forgoing spine liners, hard covers or other design and strength elements that I wanted or needed to include for a pair of books this size.

Part way through this project I read an article about the K-118 structure and further research led me to write a bit about it and start sewing together a text I had to serve as my introduction to the style. What struck me about the K-118 structure originally, besides its natural flexibility and propensity to present flat uninterrupted spreads with no lost gutter when open, was the similarities with the Springback on how the book block should be prepared. 
The Springback needs cloth jointed endpapers; the K-118 can have any that don't add to the swell including cloth jointed. 
The Springback needs to be sewn on single or double tapes; the K-118 can be sewn on any manor of supports including tapes, cords, vellum etc.
The Springback needs to have a minimal to no swell; the K-118 as well. 
The Springback needs to be able to be rounded to an extreme round; the K-118 as well. 
 
When the carpenters project album expressed its discontent resulting in its' spring and clowthings being removed I knew how to proceed and finish this newly naked blank.

The next step in creating a K-118 binding after the book has been sewn and rounded (not backed) is the preparation of the boards.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love the K-118 Binding Structure

Working The K-118 Binding Structure

Folding Business Card Holder