Tackling Springs in Winter

Since I learned about the spring-back bookbinding structure a couple years ago I knew that I had found what I had been looking for. The spring-back is a structure that allows for the pages in a book to open completely flat while open. Unlike other structures that can achieve this feat as well, a spring-back bound book doesn't skimp on protective spine linings and other structural concerns to make this happen. While the method employed to make this happen can apply undue stress on the joints, as compared to other binding structures, it can be overcome with small adjustments to the historical method. Now that I have a greater understanding of the spring-back I am continuing to test various different materials for use in the joints, the spine linings (clowthings) even the sewing support materials. While my attempts as of yet have not yielded any discoveries I am confident that I have started to narrow down the possibilities and I am excited that the fruits of this labor will be the first official products of the 'Harrington Bindery' a venture I launched in 2015.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love the K-118 Binding Structure

Working The K-118 Binding Structure

Folding Business Card Holder